Ksoloti for Professional and Commercial Use: Capabilities and Limitations

I have used the Ksoloti platform to carry out various projects, including some high-profile ones, such as Hans Zimmer’s giant modular synthesizer, in which the Ksoloti is used to create a digital oscillator.

I continued to explore ways to integrate Ksoloti into other projects, but several limitations led me to ultimately stop using Ksoloti for anything related to synthesizers.

However, there remains one area where this platform is still quite interesting: effects, particularly dedicated effects (with the help, notably, of SSS, a well-known contributor to the community). So I developed a board dedicated to effects that integrates the Ksoloti platform. This platform includes an adaptive buffer system that allows the board to be used in mono or stereo with Hi-Z or Low-Z inputs, so you can directly plug your electric guitar or a synth into it. You can also choose between a true bypass or buffered bypass configuration. And of course it works on 9V.

This board was designed to accommodate a whole range of daughter boards equipped with various controls (potentiometers, rotary switches, toggle switches, LEDs); each type of effect has its own dedicated daughter board.

The Ksoloti thus allows you to develop powerful digital effects, but again, by limiting yourself to one type of effect per board, a complex stereo phaser (input/output) switchable between 12 or 24 stages per channel can consume nearly 70% of the DSP load on its own.
For complex reverb effects, this goes even further.

I don’t know what the status is on the project to port the Ksoloti to H7-type microcontrollers, but I think this is a necessary step to ensure the long-term viability of the Ksoloti and all the work Sebastian has done.

By the way, Sebastian, feel free to reach out to me so we can discuss how I might support you in this project to make Ksoloti more powerful.

-S-